Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Wealthy White Male Gets a Bargain on a Bungalow

My experience entering Burkina Faso was so surreal. It appeared to have a developed and complex economy. I, Scott Henderson, am a global real estate mogul and the co owner of the Oakland Raiders, but if you asked me what Burkina Faso was, I would’ve given a classic Gary Johnson. As it would happen, Burkina Faso has a rich history. Between the eighth and eleventh centuries, great kingdoms called the Mossi inhabited the area and fought the great Mali kingdom. Many colonizing countries put their interest in Burky but through an exceedingly complex series of events it became a French protectorate in the 1890s. Four current African countries made up this sector of French controlled land. Burkina Faso, or Haute Volta as it was called, was the feistiest. So feisty in fact that they were separated from Niger, French Sudan and the Ivory Coast. Naturally, Burkina Faso still speaks predominantly French.Image result for gary johnson not knowing aleppo



I believe it is time for me to explain my plan. If you have ever seen the exquisite film “Hot Rod”, then you know the premise is that Rod has to save his dying stepfather in order to beat him up when he is at his strength. I have a very similar relationship with my father. The way I see it, if I can attain enough obscure knowledge of distant and strange lands, perhaps I could find the cure to Alzheimer’s. I know it’s a stretch, but there is a lot of knowledge in the world and the corrupt voodoo filled areas of West Africa seemed like a good place to start. Popo and I traveled up to city of Kaya to stay at the Hotel Kaziende and visit with the locals. Burkina Faso uses the CFA Francs, and even the most expensive bungalows for Popo and I were only 51 U.S. Dollars a night total (30000 CFA Francs). Image result for hotel kaziende

The morning after we checked in, we went out to to the town and visited with common folk, as I entered a secluded area of a few mud brick bungalows, I was greeted by a young boy “Je suis Ibrahim” he said. He brought us to his home and introduced us to his parents. We spoke about life in Burkina Faso for many hours. The day after was the same way and before I knew I understood the semi-corrupt political system. I panderingly swayed during a voodoo dancing ritual with the large masks Burkina Faso is supposedly known for. My next adventure will take me to land of Djibouti.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Gary Johnson reference. Your entire blog may be offensive but that made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you only able to visit Togo and Burkina Faso while in Africa?

      Delete